Friday, December 24, 2010

Pay it Forward

When I heard that I had to do a Public Health Rotation for the upcoming summer internship, there was no doubt in my mind of where I wanted to go. I could have stayed in VT but I wanted YES.

This is the place where I used to chill at back in the day/HIGH SCHOOL. I used to work as a tobacco peer leader spreading awareness to elementary school children and creating prevention programs. Not only was it a place of previous employment, it was a place to go to after school instead of causing trouble out in the streets.

It didn't matter to me that it was an old creaky 4-floor building with small offices, not enough computers or conference rooms. No heat in the winter or AC in the summer, or that we had to move to a trailer while the old building was being renovated to the building it is today. It was the counselors in that building that made the difference.

BAYES was there for most of my high school years and has made a positive impact on my life. Without the counselors, I wouldn't have anyone to look up to or talk to. To this day, I drop by when I can and catch up.

Recently they had a Christmas party and invited both the new(L) and old(R) kids.

 

I found an old mentee and got to help them decorate the gingerbread house.
Homies Gingerbread House





 I even received a gift. =)
 
Once a YES kid, always a YES kid. 
Dave's Kids-Silly face!
Counselors and Older kids
I received approval from BAYES Executive Director and my school's liaison, so I will be back home at YES like the olden days! I will be working with prevention of underage drinking as well as smoking and I can't wait to start.
I hope to inspire and do for YES, what YES has done for me.

I know that one day (after getting a job) I will donate back to this organization because I believe in what they do for the families and teens in the community.

Until next time, toodles!

1 comment:

  1. marlana!!!!!!! you're so awesome for volunteering =) -Julie

    ReplyDelete